How To Ride An Electric Scooter: Beginner’s Guide
Electric scooters are a thing of beauty. Slim, compact, foldable, and fast enough to beat walking to your destination. These scooters are also an economical choice that can save you a lot of time and money on your daily commute. This is a complete guide how to ride an electric scooter for beginners. Be sure to read until the end for safety and riding tips.
Ready to Ride
Are you ready to ride? Electric scooters usually have three different modes that come in different speeds. All you must do is select the mode and press down on the throttle to move forward. Follow the steps below to begin riding.
- First up, wear the proper gear! No matter how fast or slow you want to go on your electric scooter, you must always be sure to protect yourself. Use a helmet, elbow pads, and knee pads. You should also wear shoes or sneakers to prevent slipping.
- Find an empty open space free from foot or vehicle traffic. Make sure your scooter is on a flat surface. These will help you build confidence when first learning how to ride an e scooter.
- Raise the scooter’s kick stand. Without starting the electric scooter, first try to get on and off it to test which foot placement you are most comfortable with. This is the position in which you will be riding.
- Position your hands on the handlebars. On the right side is the throttle that will make you accelerate. On the left is the brake lever. Practice pressing on the throttle and squeezing the brake lever to get a feel for it.
- When you are ready to begin moving, get into a kick scooter stance with one leg on the scooter deck and the other leg on the ground.
- Push off with the leg on the ground to get your scooter to move forward. This will also help the engine start.
- Press down on the throttle and balance yourself on the scooter as you accelerate.
- To stop, gently squeeze on the brake lever or step on the rear brake which is on top of the rear tire.
Safety and Riding Tips
Here are a few more tips to ride an electric scooter.
- Do not forget your safety gear.
- Always start with the slowest speed and touch the throttle gently.
- Practice braking.
- Fold and lock your scooter when you need to carry it around. Read your scooter’s manual to learn how to do this.
- When riding, look forward towards the direction that you are going. Don’t stare at the ground to avoid any accidents.
- Practice, practice, practice! Practice in an open space that has a smooth surface. Once you are confident enough in riding on all speeds, you can move on to crowded spaces or main roads where electric scooters are allowed.
- Expect the unexpected. Always be alert and ready to stop at any time. You never know what the roads may bring.
Once you know how to ride an electric scooter, you will most definitely enjoy the convenience that it brings. It is a fun and easy way to go on your daily commute or to run errands. Just don’t forget your helmet!