How To Remove REV Limiter On Scooter: Detailed Steps
What is the REV limiter? A REV limiter or "revolutions per minute" is an automotive component present in many types of modern vehicles. It controls the electric current system of an automobile and maintains its engine in good condition.
Rev limiters are usually placed on the left side of a scooter's drive belt or variator system. It serves many purposes, such as preventing a relatively small engine from burning out quickly and limiting the maximum speed of scooters, preventing them from being classified as larger motorcycles.
Steps To Remove The Rev Limiter On Scooter
You will need several tools to do the task:
- Strap wrench
- Socket wrench
- Impact wrench
- Needle-nose pliers
- Loosen the pin's bolt head that fastens the kickstart to the outside of the scooter's variation case. This enables you to pull the pin and remove the kickstart.
- Remove the external or outer face of the variation system. Mostly, faceplates are attached to the variation case with six bolts.
- Using an air-powered impact wrench, unscrew the single bolt through the left pulley wheel's center in the variation system. You can use a strap wrench if you do not have an impact wrench. Hold the wheel in place using the strap wrench and remove the bolt using a standard socket wrench.
- Remove the limiting washer from the variator system. The limiting washer is placed around the front pulley wheel. In most cases, for scooters, it can be detached by hand or with the use of a pair of needle-nose pliers.
- Connect the left-pulley wheel again and replace the variator case faceplate.
- Fasten the kickstart outside of the variator using its bolt.
What Happens When REV Limiter Is Removed From Scooter?
The scooter's original factory settings, using the REV limiter, limit its horsepower and speed. Mostly. The main reason why a scooter owner will modify or remove the REV limiter is that they want to upgrade its engine performance. For those who love speed, this technique is highly celebrated. It is important to remember, though, that you may need to re-register your scooter as a motorcycle if you remove the REV limiter and when its speed exceeds the required limit.
If you wish to optimize your scooter's performance, then knowing how to remove the REV limiter on the scooter is helpful for you. It should not be very difficult, especially if you have the right tools with you and a mechanic by experience or heart. There are also electronic kits available in many specialist tuning shops if you want to modify your scooter's REV limiter, thanks to technical progress these days.
The REV limiter is placed in a scooter for a particular purpose; that is to limit the engine's speed and performance. Changing or removing it may not directly put you in danger. Still, you need to comply with the regulations to avoid putting yourself in a difficult situation, such as getting a penalty or fine, or worse, be disqualified from driving.